So I Come From A Broken Home...


 
Source: whtwomenwant.blogspot.com


How dare you…

Tell me this?

Is this your great grand reason for breaking up with me?

I heard it growing up

The girl in the neighbourhood whose Mama was not home

Oh yes, they heard the shouts and fights and noise

And summed up that I would never turn out right

Those akin to skin hurt the most

Ripped out and shredded what was left of what I knew

Brainwashed and rebranded who I thought I would become

I thought you were different

That since you “chose” me, you gave up that right to judge

To point, to rip, to shred

You made me feel like you did me a favour

And all I did for you was labour

For the stale crumbs I thought was love

When you chose to show it, for it I dove

I used to be someone I no longer recognise

I used to be of a childlike faith that sat at Jesus’ feet

Pardon, I mean your feet

I used to try to find myself in you

You had that power and you became the green goblin

I had no spiderman to save me

I initially thought you were a marvel hero

Thor or Superman would do

So I slaved and served and suffered

For the Iron man who had me buttered, smothered and plovered

How could I know what you showed was not love

When I wasn't sure if I could recall the experience of its embrace

You broke me but I did not know I was broken

You hit me but I did not know I was hit

You devoured me yet I stood numb and still devoured

You gorged out my flesh like the thinly concealed vampire you are

And finally when you had redefined my person

And crushed what little belief in self I had

You finally tell me why a relationship with you cannot go further

Why we could no longer be together…

Because I come from a broken home

Did you just find that out?

Did you not promise that my family “status” never bothered you?

How come it suddenly did?

Had you had enough of the traditional apparels and money and clothes

Enough of the perfumes and cards and cakes

Enough of the huge warmers of food that graced your home?

No more beef but goat and chicken

You said you were king

And I believed you were

Invested in your businesses like the Proverbs 31 woman

Never got no returns though you enjoy the profits today

What did you do for me?

How could I not have known?

That you were foolish as well as lacking in understanding?

So I come from a broken home

Your family fears I will give you a broken home

Oh, girls from broken homes are promiscuous

Not well bred, not well trained

I didn't know you thought me a horse or dog

To be constrained and restrained like a watch dog

And on and on I heard you justify

That I come from a broken home

So I let you go

And off like little red riding hood you went

But that red cloak fitted about your shoulders

Was my heart’s blood trailing down your path

And I never found myself again

You set the pace for all other promises  not kept

Until there was no more fizz in me

I didn’t lose myself because I come from a broken home

I lost myself because you became my god

If God did not take you out of the picture,

I would be today a woman with restrained giftings and passions

So I lay to rest you and all your sayings

For in hindsight, you did me a favour

So I come from a broken home

So what?

And you say I will never keep my home, right?

Good news is, weak things often commingle perceived strength

And perceived foolishness metagrobolising your wisdom

And finally…

After a long walk

I am here, forgetting you and focused on what I see ahead

I am not ashamed of the gospel…

Neither am I ashamed of where I come from

So I come from a broken home…


So what???


Comments

  1. Awesome post. I Love it. This actually resonates with me in so many ways. Thank you for using your gift to share the message of hope and strength. I am proud of you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwh! The Great woman herself! Thank you for encouraging me some more by writing this. Miss you loads! Always!

      Delete
  2. Nice one Bapi. If only they knew that broken stones are the foundation for mansions...deep, insightful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very well written and I'm glad we have people like you out there writing these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the encouragement!!!

      I deeply appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Sir! Coming from you, I am honoured.

      Delete
  5. I duff my hat. Absolutely love, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment