PromGirl: The Hunt for the Perfect Sandals



Recently, I went shopping for my friend to get a pair of sandals. She couldn’t make it to Abuja on time and she needed quite urgently. After some cajoling (not so much- I am a gooooood friend :)), I went off to check for the kind of pumps she wanted and my oh my! The kind of shoes, sandals and footwear that beheld my eyes. I won’t get ahead of myself so I’ll backtrack a little.
She wanted black six inch heeled sling back sandals with a sexy flowery pattern up front. This was what she wanted: 





Or at least something close to it. So I went to  the blue and green plaza at wuse 2 to start my search. I searched all the boutiques and shoe shops from top to bottom  at the plaza. What did I get? Nothing. Besides ludicrous prices, most of the shoes were not so appealing;especially the kind I was looking for. This was the only one worth photographing:

Forgive the picture quality of all the pictures in this post.

But my friend said no.

So I left the blue and green plaza and with hope still resounding in my insides proceeded to Banex and scouted most of the shops there. At least, I got sandals that looked almost like my “prototype” but still not what I wanted.






She didn't mind this one but it was a size small.

Front view




This was a perfect size but not exactly what she wanted.
 I put a lock down on one of them and then proceeded to the mother of all markets- Wuse Market.  I think I went to 50 stalls or a hundred, seriously. And this was the most dramatic and tiring part of my day. In all of that market, I didn’t see any sandal that looked a little like what I was showing them. And this was the amazing part! I would show them the picture of the sandal, and my igbo brother (no vex o;they were the people I met) would say, “Sister, chill. I get this shoe. Just wait” then he would bring like 10 shoes or sandals that did not in any way look like what I had showed him.




Still trying to make a sale, he would say, “Ok, wait, make I show you another one. My brother get am”. So I would wait and he would bring different sets of shoes that did not remotely look like what I had showed him. One desperate seller took me to about 5 shoes alone. At that point, I began taking the pictures of the shoes and sending them to my friend just so she could see what I was seeing. I deleted most but here are some of the pictures I took of the different shoes and sandals my eyes were forced to devour:


Does this look like what was I had showed them?
Front view





Not bad but not what was wanted!




The guy said, "This na mature shoe;na only children dey wear shoe with flower"

Ok o...Front view




"Sister, this one get flower na"

"You too black sef to wear black, this one go bring out your colour." really?




The MOTHER of all shoes! Spikes ooo!

I just have to put in a second picture to emphasize the MOTHER of all shoes. Spikeyshoezilla! I felt like destroying this one- on Sight!




After saying , “Never!”, “What is this?”, “No!”, “People actually sell this?”, she commanded me to leave the market. I think I spent 3 hours in the market scouting for those sandals.  Those people had succeeded in draining me of all my energy. I couldn't even check other places; I just went home and we settled on the black sandals with a lace sole and heel. We got that at Banex and it was quite affordable.

Feel free to share you annoying or frustrating  shopping experiences!

Comments