Book Review - "How to Ruin Your Life by 30" by Steve Farrar



Source: Amazon


I recently read the book, with the above title in September alongside all seven books in the  Harry Potter series by J. K Rowling. I think I'm really meeting my goals of two books a month since I wrote my goals for December down in August. Yippee!

I'm doing a book review for the book written by Steve Farrar and I think it's apt because I'm not yet thirty. The book concentrates on nine surprisingly everyday mistakes you might be making right now. Yeah, right now, I tell you.
The book starts with a very long but deep quote by Samuel Johnson from the classic novel,"Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia" and tells readers on a separate page the origin or beginning of the book and how it started- as a twenty minute graduation address for high school students in a school in Texas. The book has nine chapters that each deal with the surprising mistakes that you make every day in your life. I'll list these mistakes and summarise the chapter so you can have an idea of what it talks about.
If you want to ruin your life by 30, then:

1. Overlook The Law Of Cause And Effect
This chapter just tells you every action must have a reaction so you need to look at the choices you make now.

2. Get Off To A Bad Start
We are reminded that life is a race. So if you make bad choices (see first chapter), you get the consequences.  Bad choices are bad starts. However, with God, you can have several starts or opportunities to do things differently. The author gives us examples of people who started strong but lost it along the way.

3. Ignore God's Purpose For Your Life
We are reminded that we are here for a reason but you can't find all the answers within yourself but must start from God first. When you start with just yourself, you become selfish and there's a price to pay-often the loved ones around you pay that price. God knows all about you.

4. Refuse To Take Responsibility For Your Actions
You are unique and intricately woven and alive when you become a Christian but you must take responsibility for your actions by deciding to do stuff or deciding not to. God also has a job/work for you to do.

5. Neglect Your Gifts And Strengths When Choosing A Vocation

I like this one. It starts with life's big issues when you hit the twenties: What to do and who to marry and concentrates on what to do. You don't have every strength and gift but you are equipped to do something. You shouldn't be motivated by what your parents do or say but discover what you were meant and born to do. This chapter gives you tips on how to find out if that vocation/job is or is not right for you.

6. Disregard What The Bible Says About Sex And Marriage
This chapter says the 2nd most critical decision you will make is whether you will divorce your spouse or not and not who to marry. This is because the culture of divorce is prevalent now. He likens divorce to armed robbery (interesting concept) and gives four rules of the game. You are to be married for life, keep your hands to yourself (the no breasts principle) when dating/courting, don't act cheap and Christians should only marry other Christians. This chapter also deals with compatibility in six major areas for a couple and what to look for in a partner.

7. Stop Learning
 This chapter deals with God leading you and mentions certain ways God speaks and directs us today. It may be through his written word, our own teachable spirit, requests, wise counsellors or even our gifts, propensities or personalities.

8. Isolate Yourself
Watch your heart diligently and wholeheartedly so you don't get influenced wrongly, have a divided heart or make the wrong choices. The reader is encouraged to do away with sin and it talks about the benefit of confiding in someone.

9. Refuse Daily Wisdom
Just read a chapter from proverbs every day because it dwells on cause and effect. If you miss it today, read it tomorrow.

My Take
The writing style is very simple and easy to read. All the points he made are things many people already know but yet may not apply to their daily lives. I like the way scripture is quoted in the book and I think all these 9 points can be summed up as one thing: Keeping your heart. I'm reading a chapter in proverbs everyday again (used to do that before) so that's something I took from the book.

I think the author holds his son, Josh in really high esteem which is a good thing and it was good he included his own personal struggles and victories. I also think the graphical image of someone putting his head in a blender connected to electricity was hilarious but really catchy especially on the red background.

Because I read it in late August and finished it in early September and I'm just writing this post, it's hard for me to say what issues I had with the book. It's not a book I want to read again immediately though.

I bought this book from Lokay Bookshop at zone 3, Abuja when I went shopping for a gift for a friend who was to travel out...or was it for sharwarma? Never mind. I got it for N1,800.00. Amazon sells it for $11 dollars as at the time of this post so it's a fair price.

All in all, it is a good book, worthy of being read and I enjoyed it. You would too.

Comments