He put A ring on it!




So I was on my way to the office when my intended, as I like to call him, called me and told me he was already at my office.  He had arrived the day before but it was already a bit late and I couldn't see him. So we left our meeting for the next day.
I was a few minutes late to the office so I just asked him to make himself comfortable and I would be there shortly.

Before this time, I had always thought to myself what kind of unromantic, Akwa Ibom, Ibibio man I was in a relationship with. Don't get me wrong; he’s not bad at all and compared with what I've heard and seen, he is amazing! Thing is, I had buried my head for a loooong time in M&Bs and romance novels and wanted the kind of guy that would plan a perfect proposal with all the works. Toh, when I met this handsome Ibibio man, I began to wonder if he would ever propose. He had of course told me he wanted to get married but did not speak about a ring and I wondered if he was ever going to get one and moi, I have some pride o! I cannot ask for ring o. Well, I settled it with myself that he wasn’t going to ever give a ring. I have a friend whose husband told her to go and get the ring by herself which she did. And they've been married for 6 years now.

Well, back to my story. I came into the office, hugging him at the reception. We made small talk with the office administrator and then proceeded to my office. When we got in, I immediately noticed a beautiful bag on the table. I was so excited and began to jump up and down. I noticed two sheets in the side pocket of the bag. One was a letter formally introducing him to my church and then the other had the sweetest note ever, telling me he’s had an exciting journey with me so far and he’s ready to take the next step (which is, of course, the NEXT STEP...)


I turned to joke about it (as per, na wa, is that how you want to propose?) and the next thing was I saw him bring out a silver box.

I just began to scream and shout and laugh and scream some more. He knelt down, got up, knelt down, got up again; he was just nervous and confused with all my sream-laughter(and when I really laugh, it's really deep- I have different kinds of laughter for different moments; add screams or shouts and I can be a banshee. God forbid, but you get the picture). Then he put the ring on my finger. It was really sweet; it wasn't the way I dreamed up the perfect proposal (as per, you’re walking down a lawn in winter [janded things gan] and you’re cold and he gives you his jacket and suddenly fireworks are blazing and blasting in the sky and James Brown[I hope that’s the name o] is singing his “marry me” song. Lol) but the fact that it was him and he did it made it perfect; it was worth it and I felt special. We had lunch and when I closed from work, I don't remember what we did- whether we watched a movie or we gisted some more. Oh I remember, we did lunch, he went off for his meeting and we met later at close of business to go shopping! Yeah right, after the ring, shopping is a girl’s great friend. The whole day passed in a romantic unforgettable blur.

I don't have a camera and my phones...Lordy Lordy, are blessed but Mercy was kind enough to take a few pictures. Thanks Mercy! I also found out they had been scheming for a perfect proposal slated for December but Archie(my intended) got cold feet and said he wanted to do it immediately because my detective nose will smell it it(and he's right- you've got to be able to surprise me, y'all) and I didn't see this coming- at all. Guess what? My nails were a huge mess! kai, I had my nails done the next day o!  In the first picture, I had to hide my nails but look at them in the next two pictures!



 One thing I realised was that when you get engaged, all your friends get engaged with you! It was amazing the calls and messages I received once word got out. I was like, "This is what I do when I hear people get engaged and now, it's happening to me!" Incredible! Thank you every one that called and sent messages;I truly felt the love!


PS: I had taken down my braids on this day because I wanted to do a Ghana weave the coming Friday so I packed my natural hair in a bun. I didn't have ecostyler gel at hand then so I just used some olive and jojoba oil with water and tied a scarf on for hold. It held through out the day. Oh, and I brushed the edges with a little edge control by beautiful textures. I mixed it with olive oil as well. I think it turned out alright!
Devoid of makeup except some powder&eyebrow stuff
Ignore the scarf;tied it hurriedly before the proposal

PSS: We had to change the ring because it was slightly bigger than my finger;he insisted on changing it but I was attached to it. I got a cuter heart shaped ring with a smaller stone. Both rings were and are adorable. I'll post a picture soon.I don't have a picture right now of the new ring;it's on my finger but my phones are "blessed" and Mercy's phone is outta order-temporarily.

 What a memorable day!


Don't know what I closed my eyes




















So my lovely people, that was how he put the ring on it. His parents came to see my parents shortly after and my Dad approved of them all (of course, he and my Dad had been in touch prior before then so that was good). I may write on that one day.

Currently, we are planning for our wedding and I tell you- it's challenging thinking of your future, the wedding, housing and all that. So we entered for the "My Big Nigerian wedding. Season II" and we are still at the facebook voting stage. If you read this, I think you should vote for us. Just click on My Big Nigerian Wedding II and click on the "VOTE" tab. You can vote once daily until January 10th! Trust me, you'll be glad you supported us. 

Let me know what you guys think! Agba o!

 

Comments

  1. Congrats baby ,I actually fought back tears after reading,why do i cry anyhow sef ?Lol,yet people think I have a stone heart.Congrats again darling ,can't wait for the big day ,am voting and my people are too.E-hugs

    Grace Kalu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace! You are indeed one blessed girl! Thank you for stopping by and I know you are voting heavily. Cry cry baby, seriously it's ok to cry. It's a great way to express what you feel. E-kisses!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That one word is extremely powerful. Thank you Oyin

      Delete
  3. Congrats Dearie, may God your union n give you the strength to pull through this planning period..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! How do you know? I need strength! I receive o!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on being engaged, good luck and patience in planning the wedding
    www.mstomie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ms Tomie. I do need them all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment