Can You Really Marry Me?

I performed this at the Redeemed Christian Church of God in Kubwa sometime last year; the theme was "Can you really marry me?" and I had to build up something that would work with the theme. It was an amazing night!


Enjoy. It's a bit unrefined but hey....we are going some big place to happen!



Young Man, Hot and fine
Sleek as gel & strong as Thor
Walked up to me confident himself divine
I had indeed noticed him awhile
In his striped suit and bow tie wile
His skin like chocolate & six feet tall
Abs that were 6 pack, 7 packs, no 10 packs
His voice of the gods as he wielded his thousand watt smile

“Hey Sister, you look so fine
I noticed you, you blow my mind
Your love, passion & dedication
Cannot be questioned, nay, no altercation
Your strides are like the gazelle’s feet
And when you smile, I see diamond teeth
Your Soft-spoken words & nightingale voice
Fill in me a longing & a void

Your neck is long & stately & fine
From its arch, I can tell you’re principled divine
One cannot begin to describe your eyes
Oh dear me, I’m drawn in; I wave the world a thousand byes
Your nose is the stately third mainland bridge
Connecting eyes to mouth, ears to face
Your lips are the colours of the sunset’s set
Tell me my Darl, have you looked at yourself lately?

Your fingers as fair & smooth as porcelain
I see you stand 5.00am in kitchen admin
Making pancakes, syrup & oats
Calling out to me, “Honey, breakfast’s ready”
Packing my files in my briefcase too
You’re dressed in a copper that brings out your skin
Your hair- not a single strand is out of place
You've got the kids ready & packed up their lunch packs
And yes, fair lady, you’re driving them to school

Hot meals, hot bath, massage awaits my return
Eternal gifts you serve of love & submission
Your figure not destroyed by three born babes
Your breasts still standing like the twin peaks of Sheba
A woman to be feared by the devil & evil
Kabashing, binding, destroying the devil
Such a woman I see in you
Sister, I want to marry you”

He pauses & so I lift up my face
I smile- diamond teeth he says
In the voice he has had endless dreams, I gently ask
“No, I don’t think you can marry me.
Can you really marry me?”
“With all my heart, I can really marry you”
“Are you sure you can really marry me?”
“Cross my heart, I can really marry you”
“Can you really really seriously marry me?”
“Why the questions, Woman? My word is my bond!”

“Can you really marry me?
When you see I am a door & not a wall
When we get married & your mother hates me
Or when my brother high on drugs comes to visit
When I take off the makeup & my acne is revealed
When I get tired & cannot cook dinner
No hot meals, hot bath, massages await you
No pancakes greet you early in the morn

I’m not a Hollywood actress; I can’t be all pristine
And No, I’ll get messy & fuzzy & dozy at morn
My eyes all swollen, dried catarrh stuck in my nostrils
You couldn't sleep ‘cos I snored like a grunting pig
And when I awake, I look like Vampire’s bride
When I can’t be a helper, will you stay?
When I’m beaten & torn by storms of life
Where will you be?

I wouldn't be a size 6 forever!
Don’t you think your 6 pack will become 1 pack?
When I earn in dollars & you in Naira
Will your insecurity swim to the surface?
When I get transferred, will you be faithful?
Or will you say, “She’s not who I married; She’s an elephant!”
When I wear napkin sized pants & not G-strings
When I stop to wear the heels & push up bras
Will you still say I’m your one true love?

When you see me fly off the handle
My face contorted, distorted with rage
Will you be wolverine & slash me into bits
Or run away or just be there with me
Will I remain the seal over your heart?
Or ripped & placed as the foot mat at the door
If you lose your job, will you harbour resentment?
If I get terminally ill & my hair falls off
I’m forty but I look ninety
Will you still say, “You’re the fairest of them all”?


So...the question begs an answer
Can you really marry me?”
I see the words have him in his gut
He sees reality is different from a dream
He shakes his head & smiles in timid uncertainty
And his heart’s content revealed with truth’s beam
“I’ll probably come back, Sister Fair”
But I see his “love” has begun to dim
He walks away & I know he ponders

Can he really marry a woman at all?


Sound track : He sleeps- James Newton Howard


Heard other "versions" of this wonderful score. forgive the pictures; I had to use something to upload a video.

Comments

  1. this is excellent dear. more grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!!!! And she is back from her honeymoon and sabbatical leave.. Please I so much love this piece it's so deep it takes a true man to answer those questions.. This is a wonderful piece..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol!!! Yes I am back o! Imposed leave! Thank you for checking up on me. Been reading your posts a few times on your hair, chopping it off, being content and stuff or so to think of before getting into a relationship! I should drop a comment(s) soon! You have simply amazed me with your dedication!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't watch the video, I think you should upload it on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'm sorry. Now that's a fantastic idea! I will. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. @Archie Alfa, This piece is breath taking, the reality of it is worth reflecting on. You write damn good. Please don't stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwhhhhhhh! Thank you so much Love! I appreciate it. I won't.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh!!! I'm ready to use this piece o. Honestly, when he pops the question, I'd ask him what you wrote...ahhyayayayayaya he should be ready o!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raw and real. A poignant question asked, and simultaneously answered. Bravo Blessing! May your fountain of ink never cease to spill such inspired words upon the minds and hearts of humanity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment