A WASH DAY POST - I don't know what to call this post, honestly!!!

I decided to write a little article on my washday experience recently. I think it’s worth writing about.

Before starting out, I need to say I have poorly managed my hair in recent times. When I wash my hair, it’s like a 100 meter dash. When I deep condition, it’s not with love or some TLC. When I braid, I’m bothered about the ladies combing my hair too hard but…I just bear with it and say, let me manage and get away.

Coupled with living in Lagos, my friend Natmaine (famzing…lol. Yeah, right but seriously we were course mates in the University) told me she could see I was kinda overwhelmed with my hair. I wanted to do a hair test or whatever the Tricologists call it but she told me it wasn’t necessary and instead suggested I take better care of my hair using just minimal products and to try, I mean really try finger detangling again.

I got a few things from her; pretty pricey but the cost of production is high so yeah… I used the things I bought from her a few times but not with precision, justing wasting products and money away until one day- everyone say Oneday!

I had taken off a two month two strand twist with extensions I installed. The ladies who made my hair tried as the twists held; I had to redo the front at some point though.

When I took down my hair, My big sis and friend PD was with me and she told them not to comb my hair. I agreed. I have fallen off the bandwagon too many times on finger detangling like a flickering light bulb.

I put on DBK’s hair butter prepoo treatment with sunflower oil and black seed oil on my hair and focused on my matted/tangled roots, you know,  the area where my hair had met with the twists (shei, you understand). I put my hair up in a bun and tied a scarf. It was pretty late so I didn’t do anthing until the next day being Sunday and that was at about 11.00am.
Courtesy:gracekalu
I finger detangled my hair one section at a time (putting my hair in about 8-10 sections). Oh my my! That prepoo is the crème de la crème of pre poos! What?! It was like the knots and tangles parted like the red sea struck by the rod of my prepoo treatment. My hair felt soft and if not because it was dirty, I would have gone like that o! Too bad, I had a lot of shedding and some breakage.
 No comb ran through this!
Finger Detangled























courtesy: www.beautiphic.com
After that, I parted my hair in four sections and began to apply Natural Nigerian’s black soap shampoo with Nettle, Red Acalypha andSalicylic Acid (Read about it!!!). Now to be honest with you, I hate all things black soap; I’ve bought black soap before and used on hair and body but I felt it either made you dark or made you light so goodbye. However, I tried out Becca’s Blume Black Soap, a black soap indigenously created in Lagos and I should say something about that soon.

Back to my hair. Following the directions on the bottle, I dampened my hair a bit with water and then applied a few squirts of the soap/shampoo to my hair, massaging it in and rubbing my scalp gently but firmly. When I was done with all four parts, I followed the direction that said you could leave it for 5 minutes if you finished. As I massaged my scalp and gently rubbed through my hair, ah ah, see my coils! Oh la la! You know, Natmaine posted it one time on her instagram page on how her hair looked when she used the shampoo.


NN Shanpoo on moi

NN Shampoo on me



I was skeptical if it would cleanse my hair the way I wanted it to. To my delight, it did. I washed and rinsed out with warm water. My hair felt really clean and …for lack of a better word, Healthy!


The bottle says you can apply a few drops again if you still have to wash out your hair but I had applied enough so it was fine with me.
My coils after washing out NN Shampoo!



























I decided to do an avocado treatment and mix with one of my existing deep conditioning treatments- Eden Bodyworks All Natural Hair Masque Treatment- Coconut. I don’t really like this particular “brand” because it feels hard and has no slip. I blended my avocado, added a little water and a spoon of the Eden and then a dollop of mayonnaise. I also added two spoons of coconut oil made by Becca’s Blumes. Ok, now that’s some coconut oil! It’s been a while I had one that automatically transports you to some exotic island.(I should post a picture of the bottle when I can…sorry)

My DC Mix
www.beautiphic.com




















Still with my hair parted in four sections, I applied the mixture to every part of my hair but not on my scalp. I bagged my hair, put it in a shower cap, bagged my hair again and tied a scarf around it and left the mix in my hair for 35 minutes. The consistency was just right and the mix did not drip around my face and neck.









DC MIx on hair
DC Mix on hair. Can you see it?






















When I was done rinsing it out, I saw, glory! That my hair had coils! This transported me back to a time in Secondary school when I first relaxed my hair (after years) and my hair had amazing coils when one of my house mates in Udama house washed it for me. Amazecoils!!!


Coils
Courtesy: blog.sizzelle.com



I applied Natural Nigerian’s moisture and shine leave-in conditioner with shea butter to my hair. A little goes a long way trust me. I didn’t like the smell though and I don’t know if that’s the way it’s supposed to smell. It was a bit too stiff and clumpy inside. I will try another though and see- I believe in Natural Nigerian so I’ll give it another shot. 

Apologies; Natural Nigerian's website seemed to be having a down time at the time of this post so could not access the pictures from her site. 

Courtesy: gracekalu

I added a little Becca's Blume coconut oil and DBK’s Raw shea butter infused with  Vitamin E  as a sealant and put my hair up in 10 twists to air dry.

But let me confess, I added a bit of Natmaine’s prepoo treatment. I love the earthy smell! That’s how much I dig it.

So check out Natmaine on instagram, Natural Nigerian on her website and Becca’s Blume on Konga.

My final result. I matted my hair in nine rows and decided to let it breathe. I can't show you pictures- My head can look like a coconut!!! LOL!

Thanks Grace Kalu for the photos. Natmaine has to find you!

Enjoy your weekend!!!


Forgive the lighting and all. Wanted to edit it but I'm a learner in this photography thing!!!

Comments

Post a Comment